Thursday, July 26, 2012

Purposeful Reading

I know that when I have a reason to read, I read differently.
I don't skip pages - it makes me feel guilty. I read with a post-it pad and a pen and jot down notes all the way through - I have yet to succumb to writing in the book margins. I think while I read - I am looking for interesting quotes or sections.

So why am I doing this? I started out writing book reviews and have found I really like it.
And you know, it feels a little like work, but I like to work too. Maybe that's my problem, I like to work too much. Workaholic - of course! But who can complain when work leads you to wonderful books?

So what am I reading in my "purposeful reading moments"?

I have recently read two great non-fiction books, which I have reviewed fro the NZ booksellers blog.

The first one was The Ant and The Ferrari by Kerry Spackman. In this really easily-read book, he tries to explain the meaning of life and the universe, and simultaneously debunk creation as a theory. He does a pretty good job. You can read my review here.


The second was a slightly longer and more involved historical biography about an 18th century Polynesian navigator, who turned out to have a pretty important role to play in the life of Captain James Cook. You can read my review here.

The book cover won the PANZ Book Design Awards for the best cover. It is a sumptuous book, and the book is a finalist in the NZ Post Books awards to be announced very soon.

So my purposeful writing takes me on journeys I might never have embarked upon, and for that I am really, really grateful. But I must say, I feel a need some really good fiction coming on...... Happy to take any suggestions....

No comments:

Post a Comment